Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I Am Disappointed

I serve on student senate and tonight at 6pm in the SSB building we are showing a documentary called "A Film Unfinished." This is a film about an unfinished film which portrays the people behind and before the camera in the Warsaw Ghetto, exposing the extent of the cinematic manipulation forever changing the way we look at historic images (imbd.com).

As a member of the student senate, I had the idea to invite a World War II veteran to the event to speak before the show or sit on the panel with the other speakers. Well, it ended up my idea didn't play out, because the panel said it would take too much time and nobody would want to stay until the end. All we were going to give this veteran was 20 minutes for the opportunity to share his experiences on a panel. This is somebody who sacrificed and watched people die, who knew what the Nazis were doing, and also knew the price of freedom that needed to be paid in order for us to have this opportunity.

So this is what disappoints me. It's a sad day in America when we no longer have time or want to make time for those that paid the price for our liberty. WWII veterans are dying at a rate of 900 a day across the nation. All those still surviving are beyond the life expectancy of an American man. Men who gave up their freedom so we can have ours, yet we bury these pages of history everyday without thought or thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment